Tuesday, March 20, 2012

DUTCH MASTER!


So, I have this dog.

I rescued him almost two years ago and he has one helluva story:

Chained up and left to fend for himself for weeks at a time, with an electric collar around his neck that was too tight, this big, beautiful Vizsla/Doberman mix got a visit a couple times a month from his previous owner, only to leave him food and water. The collar was so tight, in fact, that it began ripping his neck open, continuing to electrocute him in tiny zaps every time he barked.

By the time he came to us, he had holes in his neck that were black (from electric burns) and so infected, that they had a greenish ooze bubbling out of them. I wasn't looking for a big dog at the time and only agreed to foster him for a couple of weeks, but the second I saw this guy, it was over. "Over," as in, I was head over heels in love with him.


His name back then was Snookers, and the rescue agency pleaded with us to change his name as soon as possible because he probably had bad associations with it. So, being the color of cocoa, and resembling a cigar because of his long, lean body, my son and I named him Dutch. When he's in trouble, he's "Dutch MASTER!", but this guy is too sweet and snuggly to be named after something so carcinogenic.

It is true that dootuhms, woogie-woo-woo, and OH BUNNY! often DO make it into the mix of pet names (pun intended)...


He's come a long way from the psychotic, untrained, trouble-maker he was since we first got him, but he's changed our lives, calmed down quite a bit, and amazes us each day with his intelligence!

Totally random, that's the story of Dutch.

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog! Dutch just exudes strength and love! What a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm falling for your blog, too! ESPECIALLY because you're from VT (from your note to jinglepots) and SO AM I!

      L<3VERMONT.

      Delete