Sunday, March 25, 2012

Random #4.1 - continuing on garbage...

Today's Random isn't really that random because its related to the yesterday's post (hence the version upgrade in the title). I just go so obsessed with the litter all around this area, that I decided to take a stroll around the yard, and see what randomness I could find. I was interested in just how much of it was in this less-than-an-acre area, picking it up and disposing of it properly, and then, of course, sharing it here!

Before I go ahead with the list below, I just want to remind you can click on the image for a larger view. Blogger doesn't really do such a "large" photo when I directly upload from my computer, so maybe next time I can upload it to the web first. That usually allows me to alter the size with ease. Moving on...

THE LIST:

1. Three Musketeers candy bar wrapper. Not so unusual...

2. It could be a saltine cracker wrapping, but upon pick-up, it was a very small grocery-type-plastic bag.

3. I'm pretty sure this is one of those foam discs that shoot from a toy gun.

4. Some kind of empty beverage bottle within the Yucca plant.

5. Your guess is as good as mine?

6. Guessing this had been here awhile, as whatever it was (chip bag?), it had to actually be dug out of the ground.

7. Part of a motherboard...Seriously?

8. This is a juice-snack container. I believe these are usually filled with a gel-textured fruit product...ew.

9. A purple straw! This wasn't the only straw I found: a total of 4. But this one got in the image simply because of it's color.

10. Tiny tiny tiny toy tire. Say that three times fast.

11. Looks like the leftover plastic piece of a Ring Pop.

There was of course, more than I originally thought I'd find, and I wasn't dressed properly, got cold, and came inside before picking up the rest of the garbage scattered about. I'll get to it on a warmer day, though.

With the exception of a few items, most of these articles were either directly used as food packaging, or in some way related to food. The ring pop was the "vessel" for the candy, the straw was used to get a beverage into a mouth, and the bag carried food at one point.

I wonder how much waste I could reduce in my own household, just by purchasing things out of a package, like bulk products (i.e. beans, flours, spices, rice), fruit and vegetables, and then using (most of the time I do this already) my own reusable grocery bags?

What's in your yard? Do you live in a place with all kinds of litter, or are you in a community that cares about it's appearance and health?

No comments:

Post a Comment