Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Random #10 - Pay phones


Remember these things? I hardly EVER see them since the convenience and affordability of cell phones have become so widely available. Pay phones like this littered the street I used to hang out on in Burlington, VT, when I was a teenager. We even had gadgets that made noises into the mouth piece, which the phone interpreted as accepting coins...I guess they found out about that, and it's probably another reason they seldom exist anymore.

This is the only one I could find within a few miles from where I live and, obviously, it's no longer in service.



Isn't is weird that they left the sign and the framing up, whilst they ripped out the payphone?

I wonder what they do with the payphones they pull out?

Do you have any payphones near you? How many and what company provides service to them? OH! and HOW MUCH do they cost??

3 comments:

  1. there is a payphone across the street from my work it is the only payphone that i know of still being around near me. There was until recently another one around the corner from my house but it was suddenly gone over the winter. There are however several payphone signs all over. I think payphones are $.50 but i havent used one in so long i am not positive. The inflation rate on payphone calls seems a little out of wack though. they were $.10 when we were kids (and for many years before) and then $.25 and then like a year later $.35 and then two years after that $.50. I do think thirtyfive sense is expecting to much from the consumer, "really i need to have a quarter and a dime to make a phone call, screw it."

    my own random: my spell checker seems to be broken, it is telling me words that are correct are wrong and not catching many actual spelling errors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 50 cents??? if every phone call I made was 50 cents I'd probably make out better than my cell phone bill; I never use the phone!
      AND I really think they should make texting available through those phones. I really think the only thing they are ever used for anymore is collect calls...if THOSE even exist!

      P.S. - my spell check just told me that "texting" is not a word. I call B.S.!!!!

      Delete