Monday, April 9, 2012

Random #4.3 sad, sad Attleboro, MA

When I first moved here I was gun-ho about getting involved locally and maybe making an impact on the community regarding global economic, environmental and ecological conditions. I actually thought, "This place needs me." I couldn't have been more correct. This "city" really is lacking leadership in the form of an experienced activist and event organizer for anything related to the above conditions.

If you don't "believe" in climate change, then save yourself now and stop reading, as this will probably tick you off. But, if you understand what the words "carbon footprint" mean, and you are working on lowering yours, then stick around :)

Technically, Attleboro, MA is a "city". There is a Mayor, a city hall, they have their own police force, etc. Additionally, while Attleboro may not visually represent a typical metro area, such as Boston or New York City, it holds all the filth of one.

I've written on this topic before, but I've finally got some photos of what I was desperately attempting to convey through some other shots of rubbish around the neighborhood.

If this doesn't sum up what I see everyday in this place, nothing will:


This is the usual sight, everywhere. This happens to be on one of the ONLY untouched areas by commerce and business (as its right below the commuter rail).



I mean, look at that, the dumpster is RIGHT THERE! They can't put it in the dumpster? They really are that incredibly lazy here, that they can't lift a plastic lid to a designated receptacle? AND WORSE, the garbage collectors see this trash at least once a week and they can't even make a slight impact on it, by, oh, I dunno, maybe picking up a few pieces at a time?!


There sits the insane amount of rubbish within the shadow of the dumpster. How can so many people turn their cheeks at this? And how can they knowingly add to it by carelessly throwing trash out of their car windows, in order for it to accumulate here?

In my own block alone, I'm sure it would take at least 12 hours nonstop to clean up all four sides of it.

Do you think I should take this on myself? At least around my block? I already take care of the yard as much as possible, but every day I find new stray rubbish...

No comments:

Post a Comment