Sunday, April 8, 2012

Random #12 - Happy friggen' Easter

You know how I'm always blogging about what a wonderful dog I have?


Well, he's not so wonderful right now, after waking up to his Easter egg CARNAGE.

Dammit.

Then, my son pointed out that the peeps were crying.


Awe! Poor wittle peeps...we're gonna eat you and make it all better, k?

So, okay, before anything else ruined this Easter (my mom always said bad things happen in threes - and we were already up to two), I decided to drop the bomb on him about how jelly beans are shiny because of shellac (also known as Confectioner's Glaze, Resinous Glaze, Pharmaceutical Glaze, Pure Food Glaze, Natural Glaze, Beetle Juice, and Lac-Resin). If it was out of my control to have a nice Easter, then I was going to join in and ruin it, too!
"Shellac (commonly used as wood primer and varnish) is a resin which is secreted by the female Lac insect after it consumes tree bark. This scale insect is in the same family as the cochineal bug and lives on a variety of trees in Southeast Asia and Mexico. The raw resin is collected, heated, filtered. and mixed with an alcohol solution to create the food glaze." (-source)

-source

Gross. And that's exactly what he said, while continuing to chew away on a mouthful of those colorful morsels of sweetness...

On the brighter side...


I was able to upcycle some cool pyramid-shaped teabag boxes into jelly-bean containing Easter basket carrots. The tea bags are so cute (in the above picture, you can see they have tiny green leaves at the end of the string, instead of the usual monotonous tag)!


My son thought they were "genius" (really, it's just about seeing things as they relate to other things, through their shape and possible re-use, mainly because I'm broke).

So, happy friggen' Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment