Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Random #13 - so fresh and so clean, clean...naturally

After watching this video, I decided to do it, too.



And you know what? It worked AWESOMELY on my hair, and I feel so much better knowing that I'm not only saving money, but the water system as well.

I am slowly trying to wean out the use of chemicals in my home. It's not easy, but it can be done. It takes patience and commitment. It also helps that I have the time to do these things, and understand that many of you may not.

So remember that if you can't DO it, just try to talk about it. You may just inspire someone who HAS the time to make the change!

Most importantly, don't feel guilty. We all live in a world that has been driven by media, advertisements, consumerism & the like, and are used to convenience as well as a busy, overloaded lifestyle. So as long as you're thinking about it (and mentioning it here and there to spark others' minds), you should feel okay with your decisions regarding your "green" actions.

But, washing my hair with baking soda paste, then rinsing with vinegar as a conditioner, took me no longer than it usually takes to wash with shampoo and condition with a rinse! in fact, it was quicker! Of course, you do have to make the paste beforehand, but that's just a five-second project: find a small container or squeeze bottle, put in some baking soda and some water until its pasty and/or able to be squeezed out of a bottle, shake shake shake/mix mix mix, and you're done.

I was totally skeptical, even after I watched the video. But I figured, hey - baking soda and vinegar (I used white vinegar) are a HECK of a lot cheaper than all those organic shampoos and conditioners I've been using...and its just as, if not more, effective than them, too!

Bottom line? I'm satisfied with the results, and although I will keep the toxic hair products I've already paid for, I will use them only for special occasions (which means they'll probably grow mold before I use them up!) and not replace them when they are finally gone. I will, however, re-purpose the bottle they came in! Like, for this lovely tutorial!

2 comments:

  1. i did read about this in the last week somewhere and a suggestion was to add (though i am not sure where in the process) olive oil, tea tree oil or an essential oil for scalp health.

    I personally have a very dry scalp and add oil back into my hair after washing anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, I myself have wondered how I can improve my hygiene with scent, especially after a vinegar rinse! The only solution I can think of to date, is to have on hand a few bottles of your favorite essential oils. I keep Lavender and Tea tree oils on hand as a staple in my home...not only because I love both scents (and burn then in candles or diffusers as often as possible), but when I make soap I also add some of these oils to them. Tea Tree, Eucalyptus, and Mint tend to wake me up; while chamomile, lavender, and Jasmine are the more soothing and calming of my scent "pools". Hope this helps! -Diana

    ReplyDelete